Monday, October 29, 2007

Chapter Twelve: Within You, Without You

So on the afternoon of Friday, September 21, I went in for my egg retrieval (ER). I was really nervous. The procedure consisted of long needles going through the vaginal wall in order to suck out the follicular fluid. Thank god I was given IV sedation and was completely under while the procedure was going on.


Upon waking up, I was told that they had retrieved 24 eggs! That was an amazing number, considering my age and that some women don't respond this well to the medication during their first IVF cycle. In fact, a good friend of mine had told me that in most cases, the first IVF cycle is considered more of a learning cycle, and does not work because there are so many variables to get just right. I was so thrilled that I had gotten over the first hurdle- I had plenty of eggs to work with. The goal was to have at least half of them fertilize, then transfer the best three and freeze the rest.

So after the ER I went home and rested. I was crampy but feeling pretty good about the way things had turned out.

The day of the ER I had to start taking two more medications, Medrol and Doxycycline. The following day I had to begin my Progesterone in oil (PIO) injections. These were also intramuscular injections and I relied on my DH to administer them. I would be on the PIO shots for at least two weeks.

The day after the ER we got a call from the clinic. Out of 24 eggs, 18 fertilized! This was fantastic news. This means we would have many more embryos to choose from. Our Embryo Transfer (ET) would be in 5 days. I was on cloud 9. I couldn't remember ever being this happy during the two years I had been TTC.

No comments: