Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I Me Mine

I've been tagged!

4 Things I Did 10 Years Ago (1998):

1. It just so happens that 10 years ago I had four huge, life-changing events in my life. The first one is that I completed my Audiology Master's degree. It was an intensive, 2 & 1/2 year program and I was so proud to be finished. Not only did the degree take that long, but before I could start, I had to complete two years of undergraduate prerequisite courses before I could apply to grad school. So we're talking about more than 4 more years of school after graduating from college 6 years earlier.

2. The second huge event was that as soon as I graduated from my Master's program, I got my own apartment. I had been living with my parents while still in school because I could only work part-time and didn't have any money aside from a small savings account. I started renting an apartment in a co-op building about 15 minutes away from where I had grown up. It was a huge deal for me, having always lived with someone, whether it be my parents or college roommates. And it was an important step for my independence, even though I had yet to accept any full-time Audiology jobs. I had to dip into my savings for the first few month's rent, but it was worth it to say that I was finally living on my own. I didn't get my first real job until 1999.

3. I found out that my parents were separating. It was a long time coming (and should have happened years before), but it still hit me hard- not because I believed they should have stayed together, but because it was done very suddenly and seeing my parents living together had been the only way I knew. A couple of years later when I met my husband and subsequently got engaged, I had to start therapy in order to deal with planning my own wedding simultaneously with my parents going through their divorce. I had a lot of trust issues to deal with. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

4. I lost my maternal grandmother. This hit me very, very hard. She wasn't my first grandparent to pass, but she was my first grandparent to pass whom I was very close with. It was a devastating loss and I still think about her practically every day. It brings tears to my eyes every time I think about how much I wish she was still around to meet my husband and soon-to-be-arriving baby.

4 Things I Did 5 Years Ago (2003):

1. My DH & I celebrated our one-year anniversary. We did the traditional unveiling of the frozen wedding cake top and tasted it and then spit it out because it was so disgusting. I can't remember what we did for dinner but hopefully it was tastier than that cake.

2. I was working at an Eye & Ear hospital as an Audiologist which was my only major source of stress at the time. I was commuting via two trains which took an hour and 20 minutes door to door each way, and I had an insane boss who said inappropriate things and butted in to everyone's personal life. I wanted so badly to leave my job but it was the only real job I had known and was a little too complacent at the time. Thankfully I ended up leaving two years later and it was the best decision I ever made. That loony-tunes boss is still causing my former coworkers stress.

3. NYC (and the entire East coast) had a blackout that summer. I was still at work and all of a sudden all of the power went out. Immediately, everyone thinks the worst. It was less than two years after 9/11 and when you work in Manhattan, bad things cross your mind on a daily basis. You could be walking down the street and hear an ambulance siren, and think, oh no what happened now? It was in the middle of the summer and we all had to leave work and walk. I walked from 2nd Ave. & 14th St. all the way up 2nd Ave, walked over the Queensboro Bridge (59th St.) into Long Island City, Queens, then walked to a coworker's apartment in Astoria, Queens. DH was tied up with something so my dad was nice enough to come pick me up and drive me home. It was an exhausting walk in the heat and I had horrible blisters on my feet and it was so good to be home.

4. DH & I were supposed to leave for Toronto a couple of days after the blackout. We had hotel reservation but unfortunately not only was NYC and its suburbs affected, but so was Toronto. Plus we had a lot of unfinished business at home that we had to take care of, i.e. we didn't want to leave all the food in the fridge and freezer until we knew the power was back on. So we ended up postponing our trip one day. We drove to Buffalo first, where DH went to college. We ate some wings at his favorite college wing joint and drove by Niagara Falls. Finally we arrived in Toronto but half the city still was without power. We couldn't do lots of things we wanted to do, like visit the Shoe museum (ok that was what I wanted to do) because they were still without power and were closed. However lucky us, we got to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame (yes you can probably sense my sarcasm here). Even though our trip wasn't as planned, we still had a great time in Toronto. I'd like to go back someday and complete some unfinished business.

5. We got snowed in in Arlington, Virginia. We were visiting our good friends over President's Day weekend and were hit with a huge blizzard the day before we were supposed to leave. So we got snowed in and my DH and our friend had to literally shovel their way out of the side street since no plows had come. On our way home the wipers on our car broke and we couldn't see, so we had to call some dealerships to see who was open on President's Day. We found one somewhere in Maryland so we had to wait there while they diagnosed the problem and located the part needed to fix it. Several hours later we were back on the road and a trip that should have taken about 4 hours, took around 10. Good times.

4 Things I Did Yesterday:

1. Went to two doctor's appointments, the first of which was my Maternal-Fetal specialist (or high-risk prenatal doctor) and the second was my regular OB. You can read details of those visits in yesterday's entry so I'm not going to go into that.

2. Went to work, as usual. I am currently working for a manufacturer, providing training and support to other Audiologists.

3. Checked out our apartment next door while DH was painting the nursery. We're finally in the painting stage. Over the weekend, DH & his cousin worked their asses off to get the office and the master bedroom painted. Yesterday, DH painted the majority of what will be the nursery. So far it is looking great.

4. Nothing else too exciting, I'm afraid. I worked until 7pm so any further free time after work was spent laying on the couch with my feet up on the arm of the couch so that my hideously swollen feet could become a little less swollen. It helped a little bit; but after having awakened super early this morning and being up for an hour or so, my feet are already back to where they were.

4 Shows I Love To Watch:

1. LOST!- Still don't have a clue what is going on, but love that show. Some people really do have way too much time on their hands- have you read some of those super detailed theories that are going around the internet?

2. The Simpsons- After how many years that this show has been on? It's still hilarious (yes some are better than others, but still kicks the asses of so much crap on TV that is supposed to be funny but just isn't) and DH & I originally bonded over our love for this show so it has a special meaning.

3. Top Chef- Love the drama, love the cooking. That's all I have to say.

4. 30 Rock- Tina Fey cracks me the F up. Love her!

4 Things That Make Me Really Happy:

1. Napping, especially when DH can join me

2. When I change the station on my radio and a Beatles song just happens to be starting

3. My kitties when they are snuggling up with me and being purry

4. Feeling my baby move around inside me and hearing its heart beating

Now to think of 4 friends to tag:

1. WaterBishop

2. The Follicle Report

3. BabyStep

4. My Journey...

I chose these four friends becaue they have been supportive friends and regular readers. I hope they participate!


Barb said...

Love it! I have so much to say to this one. :) I find that living on my own was a great thing for me to do as well. It wasn't the best time in my life by far, but it was very very important to my sense of independence and strength.

The recent loss of my Grandfather has been a big blow to me. I thought maybe I was bad for how I was dealing with it or something, but your and other peoples' assertions that this is normal has made me feel less of a freak. Thanks for talking about it.

We lived in Tonawanda (north of Buffalo) at the time of the black out and were on the way south for our wedding in PA. Friends of mine miraculously didn't lose power. (who knows how) and went to get our chinchillas so they wouldn't die of heat stroke. God bless them b/c those boys are our babies! We've also spent lots of time in Toronto (DH is canadian), so Iknow of what you speak. ;)

And who would think you'd get snowe d in in Arlington of all places?? I swear, they hardly ever get snow. When they do though.. it's a catastrophe for them!

Thanks. :)

Barb said...

P.S. Wholeheartedly agree about the Simpsons

Baby Step said...

Thanks for tagging me. I promise to get to it soon...oh, and if May 30th is the day -- it is a great day -- my birthday!! :-)

Allison said...

Thanks for tagging me too. I'm a bit behind in blogland.

I remember the blackout of 2003 all too well. It was my wedding! We had power, but several guests couldn't make it into town for it.

It's going to take me some time to think of 4 things for the 5 & 10 year marks... Yours were fun to read!

Lizzybo said...

Thanks for playing! I loved reading your answers. :)