Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Do You Want to Know a Secret

I'd say that for the most part, the cat is out of the bag. That is, my big mouth couldn't stay shut any longer. I told my job last Thursday (only the people I work closely with), I told two of my close friends over the weekend, and sent out a mass email last night. My carefully thought-out plan to wait until after today's follow-up appointment at the OB went right down the crapper. After all, it's not like I was going to gain any more information about the pregnancy today. We had already seen the baby on ultrasound and had learned that so far, all genetic screenings came back fine. Today was just more like a touching base with my doctor. Plus, I gave the ok to my parents to tell whatever family members they wished. Which basically means that the entire family will know in a matter of minutes.

My doctor's appointment went pretty well today. First I was weighed. Strangely enough, I lost 3 pounds since the last time I was there three weeks ago. I had my blood pressure taken, which was normal. I had to PIAC (pee in a cup) so the nurse could dip those strips in and watch them turn various colors, indicating that my protein and glucose levels were also normal. I discussed with my doctor my primary concern which remains my fluctuating progesterone levels. Last time I saw her I was switched to the oral progesterone and I wanted to know if I would be weaned off of them, now that I am in the second trimester. She agreed to wean me off of them slowly, continuing with 200mg twice a day through the end of this week, then lowering the daily dose to 200mg once a day, after which I would have my levels checked. If it appears that the placenta is starting to kick in with its own supply of progesterone, I'll stay on 200mg/day for the next couple of weeks and then go down to 100mg/day for a bit and have my levels rechecked. I appreciate that she understands my concerns and is willing to monitor my levels before discontinuing the medication.

So my poor vein was attacked yet again. Two different nurses had to try to get some blood out of my one poor, collapsing vein. Neither could get anything so we had to go in the hand, which HURTS! The sweet nurse who was doing the torturing said such a nice thing to me. She said that I was already such a good mom because I was willing to sacrafice so much for the good of my baby. I thought that was just such a nice thing for her to say, as she bandaged my soon-to-be bruised, throbbing hand.

We also heard the heartbeat. It was the first time that the doppler was used, and it worked. Good to know. We will be renting one without a doubt. There's something about that swish swish sound that brings me just as much joy as the sound of my kitties purring.

So my due date of June 14, 2008 was confirmed. Of course, due to my myomectomy I would be going in for a scheduled C-section 7-10 days earlier. I'm not supposed to go into labor, which could put pressure on all of the healed incisions remaining from my prior surgery. I hope that nothing out of the ordinary happens before then. I would like (please, Whoever is in Charge of This) this to be a very uneventful pregnancy, thank you very much.

I almost forgot to mention that I got a call yesterday from my genetic counselor, who told me that the genetic sequencing I had done two weeks ago did not reveal any Tay-Sachs mutation anywhere on the gene. Thank you again. Things seem to still be going well for us, knock on wood, cross your fingers, poo poo hand to God.

Just please, let it continue.

EDITED TO ADD- Today's p4 level was only 21, so my doctor wants me to continue with 200mg of Prometrium twice a day instead of tapering off. I'm very glad that my doctor is being so proactive about this.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Sounds like all good news! Except your poor veins... I have tiny veins and the last time I got blood drawn she started eyeing my hand veins and I nearly freaked out. IVs are bad enough. UGH. I'm sorry you had to had that done! :(

I'm so glad everything is going so well for you!! Many many positive thoughts for an uneventful pregnancy!

Janna said...

Great news all around!!! So happy!!! hoping and praying it continues to go smoothly!!

I'm a tough stick too. Those poor ladies who had to sick me 5 times for my glucose/insulin bloodwork. As much as it hurt me, I really felt for them because they had to work so darn hard. I was bruised all up and down my arm.

Unknown said...

I am so glad things are going so well for you.

Lissa said...

I'm "rooting" for you and blobby-who-is-not-so-much-a-blobby-anymore!! :)

Barb said...

I'm glad he is too (the doc)! And I REALLY can't believe I hadn't seen your blog until now! I'm such a dolt. Please tell me you didn't have your profile up before or something so I don't seem so silly. I'll be checking in on you regularly now!